TRAVEL CHECKLIST: everything you need when crossing the border into Mozambique

surf board on the beach

Traveling to Mozambique by car can seem quite daunting at first - what documentation do you need, do you need any additional safety equipment, how long will it take - but with a little planning and preparation, crossing the border into Mozambique can be a cinch!

Here's GoBundu's list of everything South African citizens will need when crossing the border into Moz:

  • Your South African passport - valid for at least 6 months after entry, and with at least 2 blank pages.
  • Your car registration papers and ownership documents. (If you are traveling in a car that is owned by someone else, they will need to provide you with a letter stating that you have permission to drive it across the border. This letter must be notarized and accompanied by a certified copy of the owner's ID.
  • South African driver's license.
  • A letter from your car insurance stating cross-border insurance.
  • Third-party insurance.
  • 2 x roadside emergency triangles.
  • 2 x reflective vests - either yellow or green. These must be visible at all times, so hang them onto the back of your driver's and passenger's seats.
  • Black and white ZA sticker visible on the back of your car.
  • If you're towing a trailer, boat, etc, you'll need a blue and yellow triangle on both your car and trailer. This must be on the front-right bumper of your car, and on the back of your trailer).

If you need any additional assistance or need help finding the perfect accommodation, be sure to contact GoBundu! You can email Lize on or call (028) 254 9193.




Subscribe to our Newsletter